I love to run. I will run indoors and outdoors but the truth is I LOVE running on the treadmill. I know this is not a popular opinion with the majority with distance runners. I happily log anywhere from 40-50 miles a week on a treadmill and I love it. I even broke the 2 hour barrier for my last half marathon training exclusively on a treadmill.
Treadmill running is not a perfect substitute for outdoor running, I understand that (so did my butt and inner thighs after that hilly half). Even at a 1% incline it does not use the same muscles and power since you have help from the belt and no natural course undulation and winds. But I truly enjoy it, and that is what is important right? Physically and mentally I still get benefits and gains that I desire. I sweat, train my body, and clear my mind. That is what I am really looking for when running.
Note: My feelings may be biased because, like many, I live in an area where it is hard to run outside. There are a lot of narrow non-sidewalked streets with a lot of creepy woods. I get scared. And unlike many there is a self proclaimed gingerbread lady who lives in a gingerbread house right off my street. Seriously. I don’t dig that.
Top Ten Reasons I love my treadmill:
- I don’t have to worry about being safe
- As a busy mom, the treadmill works around my schedule and I don’t have to work around the suns.
- I can catch up on TV in peace and turn my music up as loud as I want
- No rain, snow, sleet, hail
- Perfect TEMPERATURE (I HATE being too hot or too cold)
- I can people watch
- No DOGS/spider webs
- Bathroom available at anytime
- I don’t have to carry my water
- I can creepily race people next to me without them knowing (distance/speed/time doesn’t matter, let the games begin) so I don’t get bored.
I know “soul” runners love the outdoors and the fresh air. And I like it too but I love the gym and I am ok with being with the unpopular crowd on this. But just in case you are like me and love the treadmill or it is raining or dark out when you need to log some miles and you can’t get outside, here are a two of my favorite treadmill workouts for speed or hill days: (Click on Charts to Enlarge)
Hills (add 5 minute warm up/ cool down):